Livestock Farmer in Biodynamic Social Farming Setting
Lauriston Farm Limited is seeking a Livestock Farmer to undertake the agricultural aspects of the Society’s work in Goldhanger, Essex. The ideal candidate will have experience with biodynamics and have a passion for this method, be comfortable in a community owned setting and have a keen interest in conservation as the farm is situated in an internationally important wetland site (RAMSAR). It is home to rare birds and insects with 95% pf the 210 acres designated as Site of Special Scientific Interest. There are currently six employees (three land based) and around ten volunteers at Lauriston and every day there are people with learning disabilities working alongside the staff and volunteers. The role will have an educational aspect through Supported Internships with college leavers with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. The current farmer (Farm Director) is able to give guidance to the new farmer and we are open to training the biodynamic aspects if needed. The position is full time (40 hours) mainly Mon-Fri but with some weekend/evening work on regular basis and comes with on-site accommodation and the Society pays the National Living Wage to residential employees.
1. Day to day management of herd of Shetland Cattle, one bull with six cows and a herd of approx. 35 animals in total.
2. Day to day management of flock of North Ronaldsay sheep – 3 rams, 150 females, 50 lambs per year.
3. Day to day management of flock of lay hens (90 birds).
4. Working with Farm Director to ensure compliance with Countryside Stewardship agreement and Basic Payment Scheme.
5. Organising and transporting animals to slaughter.
6. Making, stirring and applying biodynamic preparations to fields and compost.
7. General farm maintenance – fencing, gates, water troughs, sea wall tiles.
8. Liaising with local contractors for hay, straw, fencing, mucking out and compost moving.
9. Compost making from animal manures.
10. Assisting with machinery work in horticulture garden.
11. Working with Supported Interns and college students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
12. Advising on work for Day Placement attendees with learning disabilities.
12. Assisting with educational farm walks.
13. Machinery maintenance and workshop development.
14. Record keeping and associated paperwork for above.
The deadline for applications is midnight on Sunday July 25th. Please send a letter of application and CV to the farm Director, Spencer Christy firstname.lastname@example.org where you can also direct any questions.